Monday, May 4, 2009

Review: Once Nothing - First Came the Law (2008)

Once Nothing is a metal band out of Pittsburgh, (hate that place). A self-proclaimed "blue-collar metal" act, Once Nothing's debut album 'First Came the Law' is a heavy-as-hell assault, involving a mix of southern hard rock, (Pantera, Hellyeah) and melodic metalcore.

The album kicks ass, to put it plainly. The opening track, 'The Intimidator,' can be used as a prime example of the feel of the CD. It open with only a few clean-spoken words before an in-your-face scream is belted out. The song is heavy, pretty quick-paced, and rocks. 'Juliet or At Least What's Left of Her' is worth mentioning due to the vocalist's screams and the lead guitarist's fretwork, which sounds awesome.

In the middle of the disc, if you can think of it like a bad-ass metal sandwich and 'Intimidator' being the top bun, is 'My Sweet Medusa,' an acoustic song with hauntingly (but perfectly) sung vocals and a subtle loop of crickets in the background. Two and a half minutes into the song, though, and I get goosebumps when a harmonica comes in. It's nothing overly complex. It's a simple little addition that makes the an already awesome song even better.

Continuing the 'CD is a sandwich' theme, '...And Then Came Grace' is the bottom bun that begins with a haunting piano introduction and features it throughout the first third of the track. Drums slowly work in while the piano continues and a lead guitar follows suit. This was actually the song that got me to go out and get this album. The way I scout for new music is simply getting on Amazon and looking up something I already like and listen to. Then, I go from there, usually focusing on the 'Customers Who Liked This Also Bought' section. It was here I found Once Nothing. I YouTubed them, listened to this song and decided they were worth a purchase.

Anyway, the piano in the song subsides as drums and guitars carry the melody, and further on, vocals screaming the album title with the song title, ("First came the law, and then came grace!") are repeated until the song ends at 5:08 - even though the whole track goes for 8:37. Hmm...

One minute and a half later, a cheering crowd fades in and a quick "All right, this song's called 'How to Build a Sand Castle" comes on. What's weird is, after that introduction, after maybe fifteen seconds of metal, it abruptly ends after eight claps. Yes - claps. As in, clap clap clap, etc. It was funny, I guess, but I was more like "what the fuck?" than anything.

Once Nothing's debut album is good, maybe even great, but I wouldn't go so far to say it tops my list of favourite CDs. I will, though, go so far to say that usually, when I start it up, it doesn't stop - at least not until its over.

No comments:

Post a Comment