Monday, April 27, 2009

Visited: No Fear Energy Tour w/ Lamb of God

T'was last Thursday, the 23rd of April, that my friend Jason and I embarked on a journey to Lafayette, Louisiana, to catch the No Fear Energy Tour. To put it simply, the show rocked!

First in line was Municipal Waste from glorious Richmond, Virginia. Their music was good and their antics on-stage were awesome. They yanked some crazy-as-hell lookin' beer bong from outta nowhere and the vocalist (Foresta) chugged a beer and, very eloquently, spat it out as a fine mist over the first few rows of people. What I remember from their performance: "This is a song about a dangerous shark... It's called... 'Terror Shark.'"

Next up was God Forbid. I must have forgot somewhere along the way that the vocalist was a big, dark-skinned bad-ass with dreds, but he led a kick-ass performance. I've barely listened to God Forbid, only jumping around their second-to-last release 'Constitution of Treason,' and even then, it's usually to listen to 'The Fallen Hero.' But now, I'm gonna have to run out and get their latest disc, 'Earthblood,' and maybe pick up a couple of their older releases. I almost had my picture taken with him. Almost...

Children of Bodom was number three and they kicked so much ass. From Finland, this quintet prompted many a crowd surfer to jump up and surf. They played a few tracks from their last release, 'Blooddrunk,' (review coming soon) and more noteworthy (to me, at least) they also played 'Living Dead Beat' from the album 'Are You Dead Yet?' But strangely, they didn't play that album's title track. Odd...

I had been witing all night for As I Lay Dying and I was not entirely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the performance was off the charts. They opened with the album version of 'Separation' before playing 'Nothing Left,' 'Forever,' 'The Sound of Truth,' 'Comfort Betrays,' and a few others. I was dying to hear 'Forsaken,' but alas, maybe some other time.

By the time Lamb of God took the stage, Jason and I were fatigued. From nearly being swept into the maw of a circle pit to having to fight our way through mosh pits and support over a dozen crowd surfers, we retreated to the stands to watch Lamb of God play - and thank God we did.

Lamb of God opened with the studio version of their opening track 'The Passing' before destroying the crowd with 'In Your Words,' a bad-ass track from their latest album, 'Wrath,' (review coming soon). Much followed, with 'Hourglass,' 'Now You've Got Something to Die For,' and 'Laid To Rest' from their album 'Ashes of the Wake,' to 'Redneck' and 'Walk With Me in Hell' from 'Sacrament.' Off of 'Wrath,' they played 'Contractor' and another favourite of mine, 'Grace.' The show cost me $75 in tickets, $60 in merch and $22 when I had to fill up Jason's car on the way back home.

If you can catch this show, do what I did and go!

Municipal Waste: Homepage | MySpace
God Forbid: Hompage | MySpace
Children of Bodom: Homepage | MySpace
As I Lay Dying: Homepage | MySpace
Lamb of God: Homepage | MySpace
No Fear Energy: Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment