Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Review: Threat Signal - Vigilance (2009)

Threat Signal's back with their sophomore album, Vigilance, after knocking off my socks with their debut album, Under Reprisal, which I showered with praise in a review back in July. Going in with high expectations, since Under Reprisal is (in my "rational eyes" LOL) a near-perfect album, I double-clicked the first track and after a short introduction, 'Afterlife' bursts and is instantly a song I'd love to see this group perform.

I'm taken aback, though, by Howard's instant use of "clean" vocals. I go back to Under Reprisal and click 'Rational Eyes'. Screams; deeper, growling vocals; thicker riffs - what's going on here? I go back to 'Afterlife' and the changes between albums are instantly apparent. Not to say the change is bad, but it's obvious to me now that I was looking for an Under Reprisal Pt.2.

Moving on, the track has a catchy chorus and, though it's very different compared to the last album's opener, it's still a solid song. 'Through My Eyes' has more of those semi-clean vocals, but this track sounds a bit more like the Threat Signal I know and love.

'The Beginning of the End' opens with Howard's trademark scream and is a fast-paced track, and the following 'United We Stand' opens similarly, with a melodic chorus and airy-feeling vocals from Howard lifting you to a kick-ass solo that echoes the same style as Under Reprisal's 'Inane'.

'Beyond Recognition' keeps the same tempo quick, with relentless drumming and fun guitar riffs. 'Another Source of Light' throws me for a loop, though, with a solid introduction, but horrible vocals that sound nothing like Howard - more like a mix between him, a high school kid with a cold and that one dude from Linkin Park. This is only until the chorus, though, which is good. The song's conclusion is great, as well, and if it weren't for those damn verses, this song would be killer.

'Hate Machine' has a cool little riff forty seconds in, but 'Severed' sounds just like 'Hate Machine' in that both songs practically open the same. 'Lost' opens with a great acoustic piece and 'Revision' gets props for its opener, as well.

What sucks is that after a while, the album gets repetitive and I know it isn't because of the genre because I listen to a lot of liberties that're taken in heavy metal and there are many that are executed brilliantly. Under Reprisal is a prime example of that.

Basically, my expectations for Vigilance were not completely met. It's a decent album with a few good songs, but if I want Threat Signal uninterrupted and completely enjoyable, I'm going back to Under Reprisal.

No comments:

Post a Comment