Monday, September 14, 2009

Review: Dethklok - Dethalbum II (2009)

I haven't reviewed the debut release from pseudo-metal band Dethklok yet and for that, I apologize. But seeing as how it is the highest charted death metal album in this history of the Billboard 200 industry, I think it's a safe bet that a lot of people already know the CD kicks ass. And it does. So what should one expect from the sequel? Even more epic metal good-ness.

Dethalbum II is appropriately named. It is a sequel to the first Dethalbum in that it is heavy, heavy metal. But something I noticed off the bat was that I was hooked to this album. It is significantly heavier and I'm sure if no one knew better, they'd think the band was comprised of real people... which it is, of course, but you wouldn't think all of this originated from an animated series. At any rate, just because this music is presented via a brutal (and hilarious) cartoon doesn't mean it has to conform to the same silliness. The show is nuts in one manner while the music is nuts in its own.

Each track on this album is great. When I say great, I mean incredible. The face-melting opener 'Bloodlines' and the ear-hammering double-bass kicks of 'The Gears' is a solid an introduction as any. The music is relentless and inconceivably awesome. What I was afraid of happening was after the first few tracks, the album would fall into a sort of repetitive lethargy. But on the contrary, as the album progresses, I felt like I had to keep on listening - up until the very end. I couldn't but remember the enigmatic way in which the band enraptures the world in the animated series. They got me! They got me just the same way!

'Burn the Earth' is a solid track that must be listened to. 'Laser Cannon Deth Sentence' is heavy as hell and the way 'The Cyborg Slayers' opens reminded me of Children of Bodom for seemingly no reason.

'I Tamper with the Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin' does two thing. One: it references the All-Father of my favourite mythology and Two: it kicks my ass.

'Murmaider II: The Water God' is a highlight on the album, but keep this in mind: it's not the only one. You shouldn't reach this track until you've heard the eight before it. You'll appreciate it that much more. And if you even searched for Dethklok on the internet, you've come across 'Murmaider' and you'll instantly recognize the opening riff and even some of the lyrics as they echo the checklist from the first song. Bad-ass.

'Comet Song' comes on next to break you into even tinier pieces after 'Murmaider II's assault and 'Volcano' is a perfect closing track to this great album.

Dethklok is presented through five metal-heads in the animated series Metalocalypse but the band is comprised of three real people. These three people have created better metal than some fully staffed, full-fledged bands that may have existed longer than the series has. This is a feat and a huge accomplishment. The "band's" sound has been slightly redefined, e.g. the vocals are not as low or as growl-like as often as the first album, but these gentle expansions have allowed the music more room to grow and evolve.

You will notice a difference between Dethalbum II and the first Dethalbum - and you will love it.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, Only one song has 3 members playing on it. Brendon plays bass on every song but "The Cyborg Slayers". I didn't notice this till I researched it. So basicly its made up of 2 people. Just thought I'd let you know!

    I completely agree with your review! This album is extremely good. The brutal riff's of Brendon Small are unmatchable by God himself. lol. He really shows off his skill on this album. Gene's drumming is amazing too, "The Atomic Clock", as he's called, is one of the best drummers alive.

    ReplyDelete