Thursday, July 2, 2009

Review: DevilDriver - Pray for Villains (2009)

My only experience with DevilDriver was with 'Last Kind Words' and it wasn't even as far back as 2007, when the album came out. It was a year later when I played 'Clouds Over California' on Rock Band for 360. I got the CD, listened to it, and liked it for the most part. I didn't consider myself a fan or anything, but it was something I'd listen to if I wanted. Now, having gotten my hands on their newest outing, 'Pray for Villains,' you can call me a fan - because this CD kicks too much ass for one to handle.

I listen to it today while I was at work and I listened to the rest during my thirty-minute commute home. I'm not going to break it down song by song like I usually do due to the intermission between work and the drive and home, but I will due what I can to convey to whoever reads this that the new album, when it drops July 14th, is a must-have for any metal fan out there.

The disc is hard and heavy and it was the last few songs, namely 'Bitter Pill,' 'Teach Me to Whisper,' and the closer 'I See Belief' that stuck out the most, probably because of the strange ability the tracks have to induce headbanging. The double bass kicks, for some reason, is what lifts each track to the peaks that they achieve. Not to disregard the talent of everyone else in the group, but it was bass that prompted the headbanging and the joy I felt for another job well done, (that being locating solid, kick-ass music).

If you liked 'Last Kind Words,' you'll love 'Pray for Villains.' If you like metal at all, you'll love 'Pray for Villains.'

No comments:

Post a Comment