Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Review: Blinded Colony – Bedtime Prayers (2007)

I don’t know how I happened upon Blinded Colony, but I do know one thing: those damn Swedes know how to make music.

The band’s second studio album starts off pretty quick and I am reminded of another favourite from Sweden: Soilwork. The sound of the introductory ‘My Halo,’ guitar-wise, sounds so much like Soilwork it’s not even funny. But I loved “Sworn to a Great Divide” so who gives a shit? Anyway, ‘My Halo’ is a great track. It’s heavy and full of screams and melodic choruses.

‘Bedtime Prayers’ is probably my favorite track off the album. I had this crazy thought enter my mind when I first heard this song: the lead singer, Schuster, sounds like the Three Days Grace guy, Adam Gontier. ‘Bedtime Prayers’ opens with a Soilwork-sounding riff and clean vocals by Schuster that sound just like Gontier. Of course, when the screaming starts, I was reminded that this wasn’t that other awesome band and I began to wonder what 3DG would sound like if they went more metal. I guess we’ll never know.

Anyway, the song is great and so is the rest of the album. Each song has a perfect blend of powerful screams and clean vocals, with catchy, but familiar, riffs, inspired by Sweden’s more internationally known acts, In Flames and Soilwork. If you’re a fan of Sweden and their unique style of melodic death metal, add Blinded Colony to your wishlist.

Homepage | MySpace | Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment