Sunday, April 26, 2009

Review: Finger Eleven - Them Vs. You Vs. Me (2007)

I'm gonna come right out and say this: I hate this CD.

Now don't confuse me with someone who only listens to metal, because that isn't true. I listen to modern rock, classic rock, alternative, religious (metal), apparently rap & hip-hop (Gorillaz)... I try to keep an open-mind when it comes to music, but sometimes, I'll come across something that... sucks.

Finger Eleven's second CD, 'Them Vs. You Vs. Me,' sucks. ...Well, kinda, but enough to where I didn't really want to listen to it again as I jotted this entry down. Now I'm not a professional critic or anything, so you can call my opinions into question, but remember that all my reviews are my opinion. Also, remember that I have a pretty fuckin' good ear. But seriously, moving on...

The one single I've heard over and over and over on the radio from these guys is 'Paralyzer.' One word sums this song up: GAY. It has the classic "#1 Radio Single" formula: catchy riffs, simple drum work, and apparently, stupid-ass lyrics. I thought your generic rock song talked about emotions and all that stuff metaphorically, comparing angst to tidal waves or something. Well, not in this case. Apparently, our lead singer is in some lame ass club that he hopes gets shut down and while he orders one drink after another, he stares at some bitch that's probably way out of his league. How can I discern this message? Look to the lyrics:

"This club will hopefully Be closed in three weeks, That would be cool with me."

I don't know why I hate this song so much. I know it got played out on the radio really, really fast, but I don't listen to the radio anymore. Not since I got my mp3 CD deck for my car, (the '97 Soop!). I just can't stand this song... at all.

In the middle of the CD, though, is a song that I can't help but like, even though it suffers the same radio-single ailment as 'Paralyzer': some simple lyrics, a catchy pace, but a sweet bridge/solo. Actually, the song has this solo sample played behind the vocals the whole time, but I like it. It's fun, Scott Anderson doesn't sing like an idiot like he does in 'Falling On' or 'Window Song,' and it's quick: 3 minutes, sixteen seconds.

Maybe if you want something that is light on the rock side, maybe if you can't find anything 'rock' to play at the club cuz you're afraid everyone won't like your other stuff, maybe if you're a fifteen-to-nineteen year old girl that can't find her Killers CD, then this could be for you. Otherwise, spend your money on something else - like three gallons of gasoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment