Friday, April 24, 2009

Review: Psychostick - Sandwich (2009)

Psychostick is the shit.

I'm going to try and deflect bias as best I can here, but I can't help but remember how fantastic 'We Couldn't Think of a Title' was. As a man of twenty-three, I couldn't help but relate to how embarrassing (and necessary) it is to have to scratch my balls in public. It's also not hard to relate to 'Two Ton Paperweight.' If you haven't noticed, this blog is titled '97 Supreme - after my current vehicle, a varicose-vein blue 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. To put it plainly, the car sucks, but I digress.

Psychostick's debut album was the shit. Out of the album's 20 tracks, I won't skip one. With Psychostick's sophomore outing, 'Sandwich,' I again find myself unable to skip ahead.

Unable, unwilling - what have you, I can't find a reason.

The CD is great. What was great about their first disc has returned in their second: these guys can play really, really well and the shit they sing about is awesome and funny. I can't help but want to make a YouTube video for 'Shower' and 'Minimum Rage' makes me laugh every time, (it's gotta be the way Rob says "But I have to pay the rent or I am gonna get evicted!").

From start to finish, you'll hear real hard rock/metal music paired together with actual singing and screaming. The lyrics are genuinely humorous and sometimes baffling. I don't mean it in a bad way, not at all. But I'll be cruising along (in my shitty car) listening to this CD and my mouth will hang open in a half-smile, half-gasp as I slowly interpret the lyrics to songs like 'Don't Eat My Food,' ("That's my frozen pizza, those are my burritos, too; don't you fucking touch them or you'll be eating from a tube).

My favourite song from the CD has got to be 'Orange.' Simply, it's a song about an orange, (they're full of vitamin C) and it's god-damned hilarious. Apparently, oranges are full of natural supplements and magnesium and all V8 is is liquid pizza. Lyrics aside, the guitar work is bad-ass and the double-bass pedals actually jacked up my car speakers.

Props to Psychostick for fulfilling their promise to the fans that donated to Sandwich's production costs, (I'm unfortunately one of the dicks that didn't donate). '373 Thank Yous' is a reading/singing/screaming of the names of their donatees to the melody of an assortment of Psychostick's songs and other riffs and it's simply amazing how well it worked out. If it wasn't 14 minutes long, I'd put it on the radio.

There's actually another song that ranks up as high as 'Orange' in my book, and that's the final track, 'We Ran Out of CD Space.' An acoustic track, it's a song about what the world would be like if:

- the world was made out of glazed donuts
- your butt was on your chest
- your hands were made of Hot-Pockets
- your dad was made of rainbows
- your face was shaped like Mexico, or trapezoids, or Texas or Hawaii

The song is hilarious and it's earned a spot on 'Big Joe Mix 2009,' (we'll get into that later). It's a prime example of how Psychostick can make real, good music and write real, funny lyrics and still be funny when they sing them.

Now re-read that last line and tell me why the fuck you wouldn't go out and buy (or steal) this CD?

No comments:

Post a Comment